Stranded on a tropical island and under assault from gung-ho mercenaries and other enemies besides, it's clear that you're going to need some of the finest tools the military world has to offer if you're to see another sunrise. Lucky for Far Cry Instincts' hero Jack Carver then that, faced with life-threatening encounters creeping out of every spot of foliage and from around every corner, he's got a fine array of weapons and vehicles at his disposal with which to kick some serious ass.
Far Cry Instincts publisher Ubisoft has whisked our way info (and images) on these weapons of war in a list that's in danger of sounding like a Jane's catalogue of military hardware. We'll kick off with the stuff Jack gets to wield in his hands and then move on to transportation delights...
- Butterfly Knife (new): Small, compact, rapidly deployed, this small knife will be the first weapon that Carver will find.
- Glock (new): The Glock is an extremely reliable weapon capable of high rate of fire. Its extended magazine is able to handle 31 rounds which can be very effective. Dual-wield possible.
- Beretta (new): The Beretta pistol is the standard Army sidearm. Semi automatic, this version is equipped with a suppressor, perfect for covert operations. Dual-wield possible.
- Desert Eagle (new): This long range powerful handgun will cause heavy damage even on light armoured vehicles. Dual-wield possible.
- Shotgun (new ): The shotgun uses 12 gauge shells. When fired, the multiple projectiles create a lethal pattern, which will increase the chances of hitting a target & powerful enough to incapacitate a human being protected in all but the heaviest body armour. It's the most effective weapon in the armoury for close-quarter-battles because of its limited range. Dual-wield possible.
- MP5: Small, light weight, accurate, the Mp5 is perfect for close quarter's battle. This is one of the first weapons you will find in the game. Dual-wield possible.
- P90: It may not have to range of an assault rifle, but because of the calibre it uses, the P90 is still able to defeat standard CRISAT helmets and armour vests at reasonable distances (50-100 meters). Dual-wield possible
- Carbine: The Carbine is perfect for covert operations by providing the individual soldier operating in close quarters the capability to engage targets with accurate, lethal fire, it's also equipped with a zoom for long distance kill and its suppressor will ensure that it won't be attracting too much attention.
- Assault Rifle: Equipped with a grenade launcher, the Assault Rifle is the perfect choice for missions where subtlety isn't a requirement... Fire mode 1: Automatic. Fire mode 2: Grenade Launcher
- Machine Gun: The Machine gun is a lightweight, gas-operated, magazine or disintegrating metallic link-belt fed, individually portable machine gun capable of delivering a large volume of effective fire.
- Recon Rifle (new): Equipped with a 7X zoom, this sniper rifle will be the first one you'll encounter in the game.
- Sniper Rifle (new): From the safety of a ranged firing position, the Sniper Rifle is perfect for taking out targets from far away with your 10X zoom.
- Rocket Launcher (new): When you need to create big destruction, this 4 rocket, rocket launcher will be perfect for the job. It's 2X zoom should help for firing from a distance.
- Hand Grenade: Destroying, deforming, killing, this grenade blows up and will inflict damage to what ever is within 15 meters of hit.
- Mortar: The mortar excels in tactical environments for defence, retrograde, patrolling, rear area security, and special operations. Its 40 mn bullet will be causing a lot of damage.
- Browning (new): The Browning can be mounted on ground mounts and on most vehicles and is able to provide automatic weapon suppressive fire for offensive and defensive purposes. This weapon can be used effectively against personnel, light armoured vehicles; low, slow flying aircraft; and small boats.
The Humvee provides common light tactical vehicle capabilities. Heavier, stronger, more powerful, the Humvee is designed for getting a lot of people somewhere quickly and safely. It can also be equipped with mounted weapons such as the Browning.
The Patrol Boat is big, sturdy and armed with a Browning; it's useful for getting across contested water in a hurry. It is not amazingly fast, but it can take a great deal of damage.
This vehicle is not very fast but very light and manoeuvrable in the water, with a very sharp turning radius. The engine is electric, so it is not very loud at all. Quiet, sturdy, and easy to operate, it is perfect for moving through the water quickly and quietly.
Habitually used by the mercs for emergency, the glider will let the player glide to the ground smoothly.
The All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) feels very light and agile when driven. It is quite fast and manoeuvrable, but it rolls or tips very easily. However, it takes very little damage from rolling, jumping, or being run into things. It's a fast way to get across almost any kind of terrain. It was added in FCI in order to have a vehicle capable of exploring the dense jungle.
The Hovercraft is slow, hard to manoeuvre and doesn't accelerate very fast the Military equipped hovercraft is very versatile; none can take advantage of the mix of waterways, swamp, beach, and land that is available in Far Cry Instincts. Harder to control it will be very effective for those who'll learn to master its control.
Water Scooter (new)
Extremely manoeuvrable, the Water Scooter is ideal to get into the tightest spots. Its lightweight hull ensures unparalleled handling. With its 130 horses and quick engine responsiveness, let's just say it answers as quickly as your own instincts. This comes in handy when your dancing partner is an unruly patrol boat filled with mercs.