Oblivion is to receive a new update on Thursday called Spell Tomes, which adds, ah, spell tomes to the world's random treasure according to Bethesda.
Offering further explanatory word on the update, the developer says the tomes - or books - "grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them! Now Mages will also gain instant benefits by treasure hunting. Friend and foe alike will bow in awe before your power."
Spell Tomes' features include:
- Hundreds of new spell-giving books
- All the most useful basic spells covered
- Low level and high level spells available
- Many new powerful spells with multiple effects added
- Extremely powerful new spells that are balanced with slightly detrimental effects to lower the cost in Magicka
- Find Spell Tomes in dungeons all over Cyrodiil
- Spend less time and money arming yourself with the spells you want and need
Plus, Bethesda has additionally provided examples on a handful of the new spells that are available courtesy of the update:
- Blink: A low-level invisibility spell to get you out of trouble.
- Baltham's Insight: a short duration but long range detect life spell.
- Shield Wall: Fortify Heavy Armor and Shield effect.
- Night Form: Powerful Invisibility and Fortify Sneak, and take Sun damage, which reduces Magicka cost to cast.
- Pride of Hirstaang: Fortify Strength, Resist Frost, and Summon a Bear.
- Orum's Aquatic Escape: Invisibility, Night-Eye, and Water-breathing.
- Elemental Blast: A powerful offensive spell with: Fire damage, Frost damage, and Shock damage.
- Magicka Vortex: Absorb Magicka, Weakness to Magic 25% and Stunted Magicka.
Spell Tomes will cost you a whopping $0.99 to download for Oblivion PC, and whatever the equivalent of that is in Microsoft Points if you grab it for the Xbox 360 version of the role-playing game.