A report on the 20 top-selling videogame franchises of all time has pinned Nintendo's Mario at the number one spot, with a total of 193 million sales worldwide.
Published by The Independent, London, the report has put Pokémon in second place with 155 million sales during its lifetime, Final Fantasy following with 68 million. Popular series like The Sims and Grand Theft Auto also appear in the top 10, the former with 54 million sales worldwide and the latter 50 million.
The full top 20 list, with sales figures, is as follows:
- Mario, 193 million
- Pokémon, 155 million
- Final Fantasy, 68 million
- Madden NFL, 56 million
- The Sims, 54 million
- Grand Theft Auto, 50 million
- Donkey Kong, 48 million (centre)
- The Legend of Zelda, 47 million
- Sonic the Hedgehog, 44 million
- Gran Turismo, 44 million
- Lineage, 43 million
- Dragon Quest, 41 million
- Crash Bandicoot, 34 million
- Resident Evil, 31 million
- James Bond, 30 million
- Tomb Raider, 30 million
- Mega Man, 26 million
- Command & Conquer, 25 million
- Street Fighter, 25 million
- Mortal Kombat, 20 million
A tip o' the hat to Next-Gen.biz for the details.