Take your pick this week as the quality going into Christmas just gets better and better.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and The Witcher all offer beautifully honed experiences in their individual genres, but there's also satisfying gaming to be had with the likes of Clive Barker's Jericho, Virtua Fighter 5 and Eye of Judgement.
Indeed the latter shows Sony at its best, innovating with its own technology and taking risks that may, or may not, pay off in the long run.
The complete list of games released in the UK this week (26/10/07):
- Alan Hansen's Sports Challenge, PC/PS2, Oxygen
- Avatar: Burning Earth, PS2/Wii/DS, THQ
- Balls of Steel, DS, Zoo Digital
- Big Catch: Bass Fishing, DS/Wii, 505 Games
- Cheggers' Party Quiz, PC/PS2, Oxygen
- Clive Barker's Jericho, PC/PS3/360, Codemasters
- Coded Arms: Contagion, PSP, Konami
- Escape From Bug Island , Wii, Eidos
- Escape from Paradise City , PC, Ascaron
- Eye of Judgement, PS3, Sony
- Heroes of Might & Magic V: Gold, PC, Ubisoft
- Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights, PS3, THQ
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Wii, Nintendo
- MotoGP 07, PS2, Capcom
- NBA Live 08, PC/PSP/Wii, EA
- NBA 2K8, PS2/PS3/360, 2K Games
- NHL 2K8, PS2/PS3/360, 2K Games
- Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots, PS2/Wii, THQ
- Paint by DS, DS, Atari
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, PC/PS2/360, Konami
- Singstar R&B, PS2, Sony
- SWAT: Target Liberty, PSP, Sierra
- The Bigs, Wii, 2K Games
- The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, PSP, EA
- The Sims 2: Castaway, PS2/Wii/DS, EA
- Tomb Raider Anniversary, PSP/360, Eidos
- The Witcher, PC, Atari
- Virtua Fighter 5, 360, Sega
- World Championship Snooker Season 2006 - 2007, DS, Koch
- Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals, PC, Microsoft
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC/PS2/360)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is an now institution - if you ask any Premiership footballer (apart from those sponsoring FIFA titles, natch) what their favourite game is, it's always PES that comes top of the list. The game now boasts over 50 national teams, over 35 club teams and the fully licensed leagues of the Spanish La Liga, Italy's Serie A, France's Ligue 1 and the Dutch Eredivisie.
And football completists will be pleased to hear that Pro Evolution's player and team editor is even better than before allowing gamers to update as players are bought and sold during the season. In terms of gameplay players now react more naturally, using the outside of their boots, heels, and chests to guide the ball to team-mates.
Defenders are especially vigilant, throwing their bodies in front of shots and aggressively bumping forwards off their stride. Even the goalkeepers have special moves, now making dynamic fingertip saves or alternatively spilling the ball in calamitous fashion.
The Witcher (PC)
This Polish developed game has been a long time coming but looks very tasty and tantalising indeed. While it has many RPG staples: levelling-up, spells, a satisfying third-person combat system, dungeons, potions plus plenty of conversations in taverns with the obligatory sots and barmaids, Atari believes it's the morally complex universe at the heart of the adventure that will give gamers a fresh experience.