The first details on the new Gothic game have been revealed in a German PC mag, picked up and raped for info by the internet.
The fourth game, Gothic 4: Arcania, has a plot set 10 years after the third game and takes place on various southern islands, each having different climate zones and type of environment (a bit like Mario 64, then?)
Here's the handy bullet point list, provided by this foreign website:
- Same as in previous titles, there'll be a hidden place (temporarily blocked by a magical shield/barrier).
- Weather changes, full day and night cycle plus the ability to temporarily cast a spell and change the time of day (e.g. from day to night when you need to slip past guards unnoticed).
- Aside few NPCs from the previous title, some monsters will have a fresh look (however, trolls look the same as in Gothic III).
- There's the ability to ride on beasts.
- Aiming for continuity, developers have gone through fan wishes on the forums and are planning on integrating some of them.
- Fully DirectX 10 compatible with advanced shader technology: standing under a tree, not only light will be realistically dimmed, but looking up into the sky, you'll see the sun behind partially transparent leaves. Cough, Crysis.