Sony Japan has confirmed that all of its future UMD games will also be released as downloads via the PS Store.
This revelation comes along with the announcement that PSP will get direct access to the PS Store from October 15 (as reported earlier), and serves as part of an effort to boost PSP content on the PS Store.
Destroy All Heros 2 is the first SCEJ game to be effected by the new dual-release policy, hitting Japanese stores as UMD and the PS Store as a download on October 15.
Other titles currently currently on SCEJ's list include:
- BLEACH SOUL CARNIVAL - October 23
- Secret Agent Clank - November 20
- PATAPON2 DonChaka - November 27
- LocoRoco2 - December 4
- ENKAKU SOUSA -23 days for the "Truth" - Winter 2008
- APE QUEST - TBC
- Gunshot and the Diamonds (working title) - Spring 2009
- RESISTANCE: Retribution - Spring 2009
If this does well for Sony, we could see other publishers follow suit, which would be a major step towards that completely digital age everyone's banging on about.