Wii Sports has become the best-selling game in history, according to stat cruncher VGChartz.
The Wii launch title, which comes bundled with the system in most territories, has now sold 40.52 million copies since its November 2006 release, the site reports.
If correct, that puts it marginally ahead of the previous best-selling game, the original Super Mario Bros on NES.
The site's list of the all-time best-selling games sees Nintendo titles taking the top eleven places, showing just why the company should still be considered the daddy. GTA: San Andreas, in twelfth place, is the highest non-Nintendo title to chart.
- Wii Sports (Wii) - 40.52m
- Super Mario Bros (NES) - 40.24m
- Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (Game Boy) - 31.38m
- Tetris (Game Boy) - 30.26m
- Duck Hunt (NES) - 28.31m
- Pokemon Gold / Silver, (Game Boy) - 23.11m
- Nintendogs (DS) - 21.37m
- Super Mario World (SNES) - 20.61m
- Wii Play (Wii) - 19.68m
- Super Mario Land (Game Boy) - 18.14m
- New Super Mario Bros (DS) - 18.14m
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) - 17.61m
We know that VGChartz, which comes up with its figures from retailer sampling and shipment information, doesn't carry the weight of official sales authorities like Chart-Track, so we gave Nintendo a call to see if it could confirm the highly impressive sales figures.
Unfortunately the company declined to comment, although it's not a great stretch of the imagination to imagine the numbers being accurate, seeing as Wii has sold over 40 million units to date, the majority of which have come with a copy of Wii Sports.