It looks like Resident Evil 5 will be getting new multiplayer gameplay modes in an upcoming patch, if some rogue PS3 trophies and player's guide are anything to go by.
Snooping through the trophies list for the game, players noticed ten trophies that refer to game modes currently not in the game - namely Slayers, Survivors and Versus. These trophies apparently disappear from the list if the console is synced online.
A players' guide in the US has seemingly confirmed these modes to be extensions of the game's unlockable Mercenaries mode - a series favourite time trial mode that puts players in a zombie-killing race against the clock.
According to the guide, Slayers "plays very similar to Mercenaries, but with players competing against each other to get the highest score from kill infected souls and B.O.Ws. A handicap system helps the player with the lowest points by doubling the amount of points they are awarded (though this doesn't apply to combo bonuses)."
Survivors "is all about Player VS Player action. There are still aggressive creatures present, making the arenas more challenging, but their frequency has been reduced. Combos no longer play a role, as the points you score are directly received from dealing damage to other players."
There are two-versus-two team variations of both modes, too.
So it seems DLC is well on its way, and we're chasing Capcom about it now. In case you're interested, here are those 10 mystery trophies (via The-Horror):
- Army of One - Win 30 matches in Slayers.
- Eye of the Tiger- Win 30 matches in Survivors.
- The Team that slays together - Win 30 matches in Team Slayers.
- We Will Survive - Win 30 matces in Team Survivors.
- Keep the good times rolling - Chain a 20-defeated combo in Slayers.
- It takes two to tango - Chain a 40-defeated combo in Team Slayers.
- It's all about the points - Score at least 40,000 points in Survivors.
- There is no "I" in team - Score at least 80,000 points in Team Survivors.
- Let's get this party started! - Unlock all selectable characters in Versus.
- Bring the Pain - Defeat 100 players using physical attacks in Versus.