Burnout developer Criterion has released details on DLC that was discussed for Paradise but never made it for one reason or another. They include time travel, the Wild West, planes and the Moon.
"As it's Christmas we thought it would be fun to share with you a couple of secrets," says the team. "We had a really good time with Burnout Paradise once development of the main game was complete. We were very interested in the whole concept of downloadable content, and we knew that we wanted to approach it very differently and push it as far as we could. A downloadable Island was started almost immediately after the main game was built. This Island was built around the concept of a Docks/Shipyard area. As we finished the game, Stunt Run was THE game mode that we were all playing. We also felt that, along with Ranked Racing, Stunt Run would be the most popular game mode online."
The updates goes on to say that there were once plans for a series of Islands with one being off-road based. "Our original dreams for Paradise were to create a series of Islands, all connected to Paradise City and each would focus on a different style of racing game. One Island was going to be completely circuit based - and be all marked up like a modern Formula One circuit!
Here are some of the DLC ideas that "were genuinely discussed":
- Planes. A lot of Burnout fans already know about this - as we showed flying around in a live podcast. It was really cool to be able to see Paradise City from the air. It did not happen because of the way the game world was built. The city was never meant to be seen from such viewpoints. Think of it like a film set, a very big film set - meant to be seen from certain camera angles and not others.
- Helicopters! Completely true. We wanted to have both Aerial Challenges and allow flying and driving players to work together. Players would be able to jump into containers swinging below hovering choppers. Even better, those hoops in the Airfield would have been able to be picked up by a heli and flown. That Freeburn Challenge involving jumping through a hoop would have been much more fun if a chopper was carrying it!
- The Moon! Again, completely true. Someone on the team said that 'players want the moon on a stick when it comes to DLC' We thought that was funny and thought we'd do it. The actual surface of the real Moon was modelled and it was drive-able. Lunar Challenges would have been totally unexpected - as would have been zero gravity Takedowns and Challenges.
- Motorcycles Versus Cars - This one was always a moot point. Whilst we would love to do it (some of us are die-hard 'Road Rash' 3DO fans) - we thought it best to keep them separate. Mixing Burnout with Road Rash - or Burnout VERSUS Road Rash as we saw it would have led to pandemonium. A bit like dogs and cats living together. Although we remain 'ready to be believed' - it's clear that Cars could easily Takedown Bikes but Bikes can't really Takedown a Car - even with a length of chain...
- Time Travel - Not many know about this, but it was discussed. On a certain day, a time portal would have opened on the Island. When you jumped through, you would have found yourself on Big Surf, at another point in history. Maybe the Wild West...you could have done some Challenges and then jumped back. (At this point, even some hardened members of The Burnout Team thought this was 'going a bit too far.')
- Underground - This was once hinted at on our forum. The idea that you could drive down under the city - leading to fast underground tunnels and open areas for Challenges.
Read the full update here. Which one would you liked to have seen the most?