Blizzard has revealed its working on a patch to tweak the balancing of StarCraft 2 races, after observing some interesting figures in online games between players.
Using figures from US servers, it notes that the Zerg race is the least used among players. Looking at win percentages, it also seems Zerg players more often come off worse in battles. Figures also revealed that players using the Protoss race are slaughtering Terran players. Click through the source link for exact percentages.
An upcoming patch will work on these issues, and will "primarily focus on improving the zerg", says Blizzard dev Dustin Browder, who lists "a few of the changes" already implemented into the update. And they are:
- We're increasing roach range. This will allow roaches to be more effective in large groups, giving the zerg more options in the mid to end game.
- Fungal Growth will now prevent Blink, which will give zerg a way to stop endlessly Blinking stalkers which can be very challenging to deal with in large numbers.
- The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes.
- The reaper speed upgrade will require the Factory, which is meant to weaken a lot of the early terran reaper attacks that dominate so many matches, especially in team games.
- We're making a number of increases to the health of zerg buildings, which will make the very vulnerable zerg technology structures more resistant to raids. We don't expect these hit point changes to have a super significant impact on the game, but the current numbers felt way too low.