In CVG's own Crysis 2 review we said the game offers "something brilliant that other shooters don't, and succeeded in abundance - with fantastic shootouts, tonnes of freedom and a technical magic bag that's the envy of all of its competitors". We gave Crytek's second installment an impressive 9.1 score.
To make sure you're fully informed before forking over the hard earned cash for Crysis 2 we've rounded up as many of reviews as we could find for your consideration.
Here they are.
- OXM: 9/10 - "Some of the most exciting, angry and satisfying action you'll ever have."
- OPM: 8/10 - "Excellent - technically strong, visually outstanding and full of welcome fresh ideas."
- GamesRadar: 8/10 - "Crysis 2 is an astounding technical achievement. It's one of the best-looking games ever, and it knows how to bring the spectacle"
- PC Gamer: 89% - "visually near-perfect...ample action is bottlenecked by narrower level design and a weaker Nanosuit".
- VideoGamer: 9/10 - "Crytek's fourth game is their most confident to date, carefully balancing silliness, seriousness, and spectacle, and despite looking like a laundry list of bad shooter clichés at first glance the end product is surprisingly fresh-faced and triumphant".
- GameInformer: 9/10 - "the unique sandbox approach to gunfights and game-changing nanosuit lend the title a flavor of its own, and Crytek smartly leverages these strengths in both the single and multiplayer modes".
- 1UP: A- - "Possibly the most visually impressive game you'll play this year...impressive environments, simplified controls, plethora of tactical combat options"
- PSU: 8/10 - "A visually dazzling, but forgettable single player campaign paves the way for a mighty multiplayer component".
- GiantBomb: 4/5 - "It might not feel as special as its predecessor" Crysis 2 is "still a high-quality shooter, both alone or in multiplayer".
- ImpulseGamer: 9.3 - "Granted the story is shallow at times, and the characters are the standard stereo types, the game on the other hand visually looks spectacular. The good things far outweigh the bad here".
- Vandal Online: 9.3 - "It looses freedom of movement, but gains spectacle. Whether you are a fan of the original game or not, if you like first-person shooters you'll love this great game".
- Game Revolution: A- - "It's a sequel that while borrowing heavily from the first Crysis, plays out absolutely nothing like it and creates its own standalone experience"
- GameSpy: 4.5 - "Crysis 2's shiny graphics are nice and all, but the Nanosuit is the true star of the show. Offering a true sense of power rarely seen in modern shooters, it helps to make this one of the most exciting games of the year".
- IGN: 9.0 - "It's a beautiful, engrossing experience that avoids the anemic, scripted playbook made law by the 500 pound shooter gorilla".
- PSX Extreme: 8.9 - "Crysis 2 is a no-brainer for any FPS fan and might even appeal to those who desire a twist to the tried-and-true shooter format. The Nanosuit is a definite game-changer".
- GameSpot: 8.5 - "Crysis was a superb game, and it wasn't so just because of the astounding technology that brought it to life. Crysis 2 doesn't make as strong of a mark, but in a sea of me-too shooters, it feels unique and offers an exciting journey that's as much your own making as that of the developer".
PC Crysis 2 players have discovered console commands enabling a number of additional graphics options.