Mortal Kombat was the top-selling game in the US during April, according to data provided by the NPD Group.
The game sold "just under" 900,000 copies to claim the No.1 spot ahead of fellow new release Portal 2, which placed second on the monthly rankings.
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters rounded off the top five.
NPD analyst Anita Frazier said: "Games that would appear in the top ten ranking on a SKU basis for April include Pokemon Black and SOCOM 4: US Navy Seals. If sales of the SOCOM Move accessory bundle were combined with software sales, this game would have ranked in the top ten titles as well.
"The Xbox 360 platform generated the greatest unit sales of new physical content at over 3.5 million units for the month, followed by the Nintendo DS platform. The Nintendo DS, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 platforms all generated greater unit sales of content versus April 2010."
01. Mortal Kombat (PS3, 360 - Warner)
02. Portal 2 (PS3, 360, PC - EA)
03. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (PS3, 360, PC, Wii, DS - LucasArts)
04. Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3, 360, PC - Activision)
05. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (PS3, 360, Wii - EA)
06. Crysis 2 (PS3, 360, PC - EA)
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii - Ubisoft)
08. Michael Jackson: The Experience (PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP - Ubisoft)
09. Pokemon White Version (DS - Nintendo)
10. NBA 2K11 (PS3, 360, PC, Wii, PSP, PS3 - Take-Two)
Xbox 360 was the top selling console in the US in April, shifting 297,000 units.