Valve has announced the 'Portal 2 Summer Mapping Initiative', a contest that offers players the chance to win Portal 2 goodies by creating maps.
The contest will last from Tuesday, May 24 until Monday, June 6 at 11:59pm EDT and prizes include an 'Ultimate Portal 2 Gift Pack signed by the Portal 2 developers', the map spotlighted by Valve on the official Portal 2 Website and a community spotlight on ThinkingWithPortals.com.
Here's everything you need to know.
Rules and Requirements
All maps must adhere to the following rules and requirements. Failure to do so will result in your map or maps being disqualified! Have question about rules? Post about it on our forums.
- Maps must be submitted no later than June 6th at 11:59pm EDT.
- Both Single-player and Co-op maps are allowed. You may submit one map of each game mode.
- Maps cannot contain custom assets of any kind. No exceptions. Spend your time working on your puzzle, not making models, textures, sounds/voices, or other extra content.
- Maps must contain both an Entry and an Exit elevator, the style of which as appropriate for your map theme. 1940's Aperture maps can use the old style elevators, destroyed Aperture can use the destroyed looking elevators, and so on.
- Maps must be able to be completed without using engine or portaling glitches of any kind.
- Entries must be uploaded to the ThinkingWithPortals.com Download Database and uploaded in a compressed file format (such as ZIP, RAR or 7z).
- Entries must include the source VMF.
Remember - making a puzzle extremely difficult does not necessarily make it better! Players of all skill levels will be playing and judging the maps, and while we all enjoy a good challenge, maps should be accessible to all players. But don't take that to mean they should be "easy"!
Maps will be checked and, if necessary, disqualified when the submission deadline ends if they do not meet the contest rules. Maps will be judged based on several factors, including:
- Puzzle complexity
- Visual appeal and attention to detail
- Innovation and imaginative design
- Adherence to an overall theme (1940's Aperture, destroyed Aperture, etc.)
- Overall fun and playability
Choosing a certain theme or game mode will not affect the outcome; the best maps will win.
The first and second place ranking maps will receive the following prizes:
- Ultimate Portal 2 Gift Pack signed by the Portal 2 developers
- Map spotlighted by Valve on the official Portal 2 Website
- ThinkingWithPortals.com Community Spotlight
Valve has made a 22-song soundtrack for Portal 2 available via its website for free.