3DS held the top spot on the Japanese hardware chart during the week ended July 24, beating out PSP by around 5,000 sales.
PS3 remained the top selling home console, while DSi and DSi LL came in ahead of Xbox 360.
On the software front, Everyone's Rhythm Heaven for Wii debuted at No.1, followed by fellow new entries Sengoku Basara Chronicle Heroes for PSP and No More Heroes Red Zone Edition for PS3.
The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Alice Madness Returns made their chart bows at No.9 and No.17 respectively, while Sniper Ghost Warrior for PS3 entered at No.16, Andriasang reports.
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
3DS: 31,826 (46,637)
PSP: 26,854 (26,551)
PS3: 23,343 (23,322)
Wii: 17,114 (14,237)
DSi LL: 5,258 (4,693)
DSi: 4,921 (4,384)
Xbox 360: 1,546 (1,734)
PS2: 1,475 (1,405)
DS Lite: 155 (131)
PSP go: 14 (14)
Weekly software sales
01. Everyone's Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo)
02. Sengoku Basara Chronicle Heroes (Capcom)
03. No More Heroes Red Zone Edition (MMV)
04. Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level 5)
05. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami)
06. Taiko Drum Master Portable DX (Namco Bandai)
07. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami)
08. Noora And The Time Studio (Atlus)
09. Alice Madness Returns (EA)
10. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
Last week, Nintendo announced global plans to slash the price of the 3DS following lacklustre sales.