THQ's picked up The Haunted: Hell's Reach, the winning entry of Epic Games' 2010 Make Something Unreal contest.
The retail version of the third-person shooter mod will release on PC this October (for just $19.99), followed by an Xbox Live Arcade version sometime next year.
The official blurb reads: "The Haunted is a fast paced thirdperson action horror game that focuses on delivering an intense multiplayer experience.
"Your goal is to liberate cursed places and survive the assault from the minions of hell. The game features several multiplayer modes such as coop-survival, demons vs. humans and demonizer."
Screens, trailer and feature bullet points follow:
- Playing as human is action focused survival gameplay with a huge arsenal of weapons and melee attacks, total freedom in movement and brutal, intense combat.
- The minions of hell come in many variations and approach from everywhere to give you the feeling of a real fight for your life. There is no place to hide, together or alone. In addition to that, watch out for dangerous traps and environmental hazards.
- Some multiplayer modes can have players taking control of vicious demon masters. Here you can spawn monsters and play them by yourself, or place traps and trigger the environmental hazards to create a unpredictable threat for the humans.
- The monsters are harrowing and locations feature a classic horror atmosphere with a remarkable western-gothic style.
- Solo Mode: The singleplayer mode pits one human against the forces of evil.
- Coop Mode: Up to 4 human players have to make a stand against the undead. Send as much as possible back to hell and redeem the souls of fallen comrades.
- Battle Mode: 4 Human players against 4 demons.
- Demonizer: Similar to coop, but each dead human will turn into a demon until no one is left.