Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD topped the Japanese software chart for the week ended August 28, while 3DS retained its hardware sales lead for the third week running.
The debut title in the PSP Remaster series, which sees PSP games remastered in HD for PS3, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD shifted 288,000 copies in its first week on sale.
New PSP and PS3 releases dominated sales, with Black Rock Shooter The Game, Mobile Suit Gundam New Gihren's Ambition, Samurai Warriors 3 Empires and Dynasty Warriors 7 Special rounding off the top five, Andriasang reports.
On the hardware front, 3DS held the No.1 spot for the third straight week since its price cut, selling almost double the total of its closest rival, PS3, which has itself performed notably better since its own August price reduction.
Weekly software sales (lifetime)
01. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD (PS3, Capcom) - 287,829 / New
02. Black Rock Shooter The Game (PSP, Imageepoch) - 105,277 / New
03. Mobile Suit Gundam New Gihren's Ambition (PSP, Namco Bandai) - 75,611 / New
04. Samurai Warriors 3 Empires (PS3, Tecmo Koei) - 70,254 / New
05. Dynasty Warriors 7 Special (PSP, Tecmo Koei) - 25,308 / New
06. Everyone's Rhythm Heaven (Wii, Nintendo) - 25,063 (399,552)
07. Monster Hunter Diary Poka Poka Felyne Village G (PSP, Capcom) - 23,151 (162,416)
08. Kirby Mass Attack (DS, Nintendo) - 18,901 (181,224)
09. Super Pokemon Rumble (3DS, Pokemon) - 15,764 (134,201)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D (3DS, Nintendo) - 13,423 (348,964)
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
3DS: 60,781 (105,639)
PS3: 33,141 (29,666)
PSP: 31,310 (40,888)
Wii: 11,342 (18,256)
DSi LL: 3,235 (4,329)
DSi: 2,384 (3,585)
PS2: 1,580 (1,789)
X360: 1,393 (1,427)
DS Lite: 110 (117)
PSP go: 20 (13)