Perhaps the most un-secret 'secret' game in history, EA's remake of Bullfrog classic Syndicate, has leaked online via the publisher's Origin download service.
Developed - as previously rumoured - by Swedish Chronicles of Riddick studio Starbreeze, the reboot is described by a now-removed Origin listing as "a unique action shooter set in a not too distant future, where Business is War."
The new game takes the form of a "visceral" first-person shooter and will include 4-player co-op and "clip enhanced gameplay."
Players take on the role of Miles Kilo, corporation Eurocorp's latest prototype agent, and embark on "a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge". The plot is scribed by Crysis 2 writer Richard Morgan.
The remake has been strongly rumoured for what seems like forever now, and last year Starbreeze confirmed that it had canned its other project, based on Jason Bourne, to focus on one game.
CVG was of course among the first to out the remake, as we exclusively reported back in 2008 that the Bullfrog original was indeed getting a current-gen makeover.
The Bullfrog original was released in 1993 and later followed up in 1996 by Syndicate Wars.
The game put players in charge of a militant global corporation, and tasked them with leading cyborg agents around a gritty cyberpunk world rescuing captured allies and assassinating rival syndicate executives. It was awesome.
Here's the Origin listing (via NeoGAF) in full:
Syndicate is the re-imagination of a cult classic franchise from 1993 - a unique action shooter set in a not too distant future, where Business is War.
2069 - No longer governed by politicians, the developed world is divided up into regions controlled by megacorporations known as Syndicates. These Syndicates have revolutionized how the consumer interacts with the digital world. No longer does the consumer require a device to access the worlds data and control their technology, they can do this at the blink of an eye via neural chip implant. Civilians flocked to be chipd and enjoy all that their selected Syndicate has to offer; housing, medical, banking, insurance, education, entertainment and jobs. One complete package. One complete lifestyle. In return, the Syndicates gained unprecedented insights, and control, over the individual and their behaviour. With little governmental oversight, business has become war. The Syndicates will stop at nothing for ultimate market dominance. At the front line of this war are the Agents, the Syndicates bio-engineered and chip-augmented enforcers. They can breach anything in the wired world including their enemies, their weapons and the environment that surrounds them, making them the most efficient and deadly technological weapons in the world.
- Take on the role of Miles Kilo, Eurocorps latest prototype agent, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.
- Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision - A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse.
- 4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate.
- Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed.
- Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.