News

Nintendo 'absolutely not' considering making mobile games

Company also intends for recent 3DS price cut to be the first and the last

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata has shot down the possibility of the company turning to mobile games development to boost its profits.

Zoom

Analysts and investors have urged Nintendo to broaden its horizons by embracing smartphones, but Iwata told Nikkei (via Andriasang) his responsibility was to plan for the long term, not to make a quick buck.

"This is absolutely not under consideration," he said. "If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo. Having a hardware development team in-house is a major strength. It's the duty of management to make use of those strengths.

"It's probably the correct decision in the sense that the moment we started to release games on smartphones we'd make profits. However, I believe my responsibility is not to short term profits, but to Nintendo's mid and long term competitive strength."

Iwata also referred to the 3DS launch price as a "hurdle" the company has cleared by lowering it, before reportedly claiming Nintendo intends for August's price cut to be the first and the last. Personally, we see the price of the launch model coming way down once Nintendo inevitably releases redesigned 3DS hardware with a second circle pad in the next year or so.

Nintendo's pre-TGS conference earlier this week featured a number of product announcements, from new games to launch details for the controversial 3DS circle pad peripheral, but investors were left cold by the company's plans.

The platform holder's shares fell five percent on Tuesday versus a one percent rise the Nikkei stock average, with investors pessimistic about Nintendo's chances of fighting off increased competition from smartphones and tablets.

[ SOURCE: Andriasang ]

Comments