Dark Souls has stormed the Japanese chart for the week ended September 25, selling 279,567 copies to take the No.1 spot.
The action RPG's sales total is pretty impressive given it's a PS3 exclusive in Japan, Andriasang reports.
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection debuted at No.2 with 91,902 sales, while Gears of War 3 entered at No.4 with 56,113 sales. Sandwiched between the pair was another new entry we can't say we've heard of before, Yu-gi-oh 5D's Tag Force 6.
The news wasn't so good for Shadows of the Damned, with the PS3 version debuting at No.18 following 9,145 sales.
On the hardware front, 3DS retained its lead over PS3, selling 30,000 more units than Sony's home console.
PSP sales doubled Wii's, while Xbox 360 sales were up more than 100 percent week-on-week, helping the console jump above the older DS models for once.
Weekly software sales (lifetime)
01. Dark Souls (PS3, From) 279,567 - NEW
02. Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Limited Box (PS3, SCE) 91,902 - NEW
03. Yu-gi-oh 5D's Tag Force 6 (PSP, Konami) 64,350 - NEW
04. Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360, Microsoft) 56,113 - NEW
05. Dragon Quest Collection (Wii, Square Enix) 54,775 (318,174)
06. Senran Kagura (3DS, MMV) 52,206 - NEW
07. Busou Shinki Battle Masters Mk.2 (PSP, Konami) 32,318 - NEW
08. ToHeart2 DX Plus (PS3, Aqua Plus) 24,429 - NEW
09. Tales of Xillia (PS3, Namco Bandai) 22,484 (595,386)
10. Champion Jockey Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey (PS3, Tecmo Koei) 18,281 - NEW
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
3DS: 70,159 (58,837)
PS3: 39,452 (36,061)
PSP: 28,533 (25,122)
Wii: 14,034 (15,406)
X360: 3,897 (1,295)
DSi LL: 2,991 (2,869)
DSi: 2,351 (2,234)
PS2: 1,517 (1,317)
DS Lite: 86 (78)
PSP go: 15 (7)