The release of XCOM has been delayed, publisher Take-Two confirmed last night as part of its second quarter financial results.
"2K Games now expects to release XCOM during fiscal 2013," the company said. The game was previously scheduled to launch on March 6, 2012, but will now arrive during the year ending March 31, 2013.
2K previously described XCom as "the re-imagining of one of gaming's most storied and beloved franchises", claiming that it "combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distils it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience".
It was initially announced for Xbox 360 and PC, but is now in the works for PS3 too.
The news came as Take-Two posted what it said were "better-than-expected results" for the second financial quarter ended September 30, 2011.
But the publisher still reported a drop in revenues and increased losses. Sales for the three month period were down from $245 million last year to $107 million, while the firm slipped from a profit of $3.3 million to a loss of $47.3 million.
Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said he was positive about building momentum in the second half of the financial year with "groundbreaking new releases from our portfolio of hit franchises, including Max Payne 3 from Rockstar Games and The Darkness II from 2K Games, and a broad array of other offerings that promise to delight audiences worldwide - whether at home or on the go.
"Looking ahead," he added, "Take-Two has the strongest development pipeline in the company's history. At the cornerstone of our stellar lineup is the recently announced next instalment of Rockstar Games' iconic franchise that has sold-in more than 114 million units - Grand Theft Auto V.
"The creative team at Rockstar Games continues to set benchmarks for excellence with every new release and we're confident that consumers' enthusiasm will be rewarded with a breathtaking entertainment experience that can only be provided by Grand Theft Auto."