Prototype 2 was the best-selling game last month in North America, according to retail tracker the NPD Group.
NPD analyst Anita Frazier said: "I think what the new physical retail content sales reflect a very light release schedule in terms of the amount of compelling new games.
"Last April, the top seven titles outsold the top-selling title this year, and, simply stated, there were notably fewer new market introductions.
"I think it's a simple as that because when we see compelling content come into the market, the games are still selling as well as ever - we just saw a lot less this April as compared to last."
She added: "Kid Icarus: Uprising on the 3DS ranked among the top 10 SKU's for the month, and would have made the list if we were reporting on SKU rather than total title level."
- Prototype 2 - 360, PS3 (Activision)
- Kinect Star Wars - 360 (LucasArts)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 360, PS3, Wii, PC (Activision)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 - 360, PS3 (EA)
- NBA 2K12 - 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2 (Take-Two)
- The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings - 360, PC (Warner)
- Mario Party 9 - Wii (Nintendo)
- Mass Effect 3 - 360, PS3, PC (EA)
- Just Dance 3 - Wii, 360, PS3 (Ubisoft)
- MLB 12: The show - PS3, Vita (Sony)
Prototype 2 also debuted atop the UK chart following its release late last month.