Sleeping Dogs beat New Super Mario Bros. 2 to the top of the UK all formats chart for the week ended August 18.
Square Enix's open world title - formerly Activision's True Crime: Hong Kong - also enjoyed the fifth best opening sales week of 2012, according to retail monitor GfK Chart-Track.
Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg may now be forced to eat his words, having said in February 2011 that True Crime "wasn't going to lead to a title at or near the top of the competitive open-world genre... To be blunt, it just wasn't going to be good enough." The game currently has Metascores of 84, 82 and 80 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively.
New Super Mario Bros 2 had to settle for the No.2 spot, a decent achievement given that the game is a 3DS exclusive. London 2012: The Official Video Game, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes and Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games rounded off the top five.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (week ended August 18):
- Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
- London 2012: The Official Video Game (Sega)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)
- Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
- Batman: Arkham City (Warner)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (Activision)
- Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft)
- Dead Island Game of the Year Edition (Koch Media)
- Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Warner)
Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C)2012 UKIE Ltd