Madden NFL 13 was the best-selling game in the US during September.
The title sold 11 per cent more units in its debut month than last year's series entry to enjoy "the best month one performance at retail for a Madden title ever", according to retail monitor the NPD Group.
Madden held off competition from Borderlands 2, which exceeded first month unit sales of October 2009's original by 234 per cent.
EA games took five of the top ten places, with FIFA 13 charting at No.3.
NPD also said that PC game unit sales are up 12 per cent year over year, thanks to the likes of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3.
September sales chart
- Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, Vita)
- Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
- FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Vita, Wii, 3DS, PSP)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
- Guild Wars 2 (PC)
- NHL 13 (360, PS3)
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC)
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, DS, PS3, 3DS, Vita, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
Xbox 360 outsold PS3 and Wii for the 21st consecutive month in the US during September.