Sony Online Entertainment on Thursday revealed a list of balances and fixes to its free-to-play FPS Planetside 2.
The game is undergoing various performance tweaks and SOE has issued a list of fixes which will take effect January 30.
The changes are mainly aimed at helping freshly spawned players stay alive longer, following criticisms within the community regarding rapid death cycles, while other tweaks will bring a new approach to how experience points are distributed.
A full list of changes can be found below.
Meanwhile, bigger changes are due to hit Planetside 2 later this year. Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley promised to reveal the developer's 'six month plan' soon via his personal Twitter account.
Meanwhile, in the forum post announcing the recent patch, SOE creative director Matt Higby reiterates the company's commitment to delivering a six month plan, saying that "community involvement is going to directly impact our development schedule & priorities".
Planetside 2 January patch - full list:
- General performance increases, particularly for lower end GPUs
- Experience (XP) system enhancements:
- Dynamic XP system for player kills, players who have more kills on their current life are worth more XP.
- Freshly spawned players will be worth a fraction of the current kill reward.
- Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
- Population XP / Resource bonus moved over to continent population instead of global
- Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
- Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
- Server transfer token available in Depot
- UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
- Sortable columns on outfit management & addition of "last online" column
- New weapon type for all empires: SMG
- Short period of invulnerability will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.
- Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
- New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map
- New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
- Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
- Making MAXes render more reliably at long distances for players in vehicles
- AA improvements, notably flak changes for turrets and skyguards, giving them some better ability to aim, although not drastically impacting their DPS.
- Fixes to missiles so that they more reliably detonate and actually blow stuff up
- Air vehicle weapon tweaks
- Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons
- And of course... lots of bug fixes