Evil Dead and Spider-Man director Sam Raimi claims Blizzard has poorly managed the live-action World of Warcraft movie.
Raimi signed up to make a film based on the game back in July 2009 although he's no longer working on the project, which is now being directed by Duncan Jones, who helmed Moon and Source Code.
Raimi previously said Blizzard and Legendary Pictures moved to sign up Jones after the Spider-Man director took charge of Oz: The Great and Powerful, but in a new interview with Vulture he also expressed frustration over Blizzard's handling of the Warcraft film.
Asked about the biggest obstacle on the project, Raimi said: "First, they asked me if I wanted to make it, and I said, 'Yes, I love World of Warcraft, and I think it would make a great picture.'
"So I read a screenplay they had that was written by the guys at [Warcraft developer] Blizzard, and it didn't quite work for me. I told them I wanted to make my own original story with Robert, so we pitched it to Legendary and they accepted it, and then we pitched it to Blizzard, and they had reservations, but they accepted it.
"Then Robert wrote the screenplay, and only once he was done did we realize that Blizzard had veto power, and we didn't know that. And they had never quite approved the original story we pitched them. Those reservations were their way of saying, 'We don't approve this story, and we want to go a different way,' so after we had spent nine months working on this thing, we basically had to start over.
"And Robert did start over, but it was taking too long for the people at Blizzard, and their patience ran out. Honestly, I think it was mismanagement on their behalf, not to explain to us that the first story was vetoed long ago. Why did they let us keep working on it? Were they afraid to tell me?"
Raimi also said he's looking forward to seeing what current director Jones does with the film: "I loved his movie Moon, and I think he's a strikingly talented director. I bet that if anyone can do a great job with it, it's him."
Earlier this week, Sony Pictures confirmed a sixth Resident Evil movie release date of September 12, 2014, while Crystal Dynamics said it's working with production company GK Films (The Departed, Rango, Hugo) to develop a new Tomb Raider movie.