Trion Worlds has outlined plans to release a mixture of free and paid Defiance DLC.
The company has five DLC packs planned for release within the next year and each will offer a free component, a paid component and a store update.
Defiance executive producer Nathan Richardsson said: "The free part is for everyone. We want people to be playing with their friends; we don't like to isolate players.
"That doesn't mean there won't be exclusive content in the DLCs, quite the contrary. The difference is that you can usually bring your friends with you. The catch is that they can't directly benefit from all of it, like DLC specific loot or gain abilities."
Richardsson offered the following example of "tentative" plans for the first DLC pack:
Buy the DLC for $10:
- Access to play the Castithan Species
- Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
- Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
- Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
- A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
- A unique Castithan version of an outfit
- A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
- Access to New Pursuits
- New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
- Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
- Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
- Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
- Access to a new PvP Map - Military Academy
- Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
- Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
- Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
- Select a new voice for you character
- Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
- New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
- Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
- More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
- Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change
Richardsson also said that an upcoming Defiance update, known as the TV tie-in or patch 1.020, will launch later this month. As well as introducing bug fixes and other improvements, it will add elements from the TV series, "one of which will utilize a new open world game mode called Sieges. Details are obviously slim, but it's a crossover event so that should give you an indication of what this game mode entails in future DLCs".
Launched on April 2 on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, Defiance sees players scouring a transformed Earth competing for alien technology. Trion Worlds said last week that the open world shooter surpassed one million registered users in its first month of availability.
We said in our Defiance review: "This was one of the smoothest MMO launches we've seen in recent memory, but right now Defiance feels unfinished and unfulfilling, even if we admire its ambition." Multiple updates have been released since launch.