That's according to creator Undead Labs, which said the Microsoft published open world zombie game sold over a quarter of a million copies in its first two days of availability.
"State of Decay has smashed all kinds of records," the studio claimed. "The only game that ever sold more on XBLA this fast was Minecraft...an already hugely popular game.
"This was you. We did not have an ad budget. We didn't have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers.
"All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity. This train got rolling because you got out and pushed. We are not just riding on this train, however! We're never going to stop pushing to make the best games we can."
With that in mind, Undead Labs has submitted title update one for certification. It's expected to be available later this week.
- NEW: Playable characters can no longer be killed by the simulation
- Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.
- Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.
- NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.
- The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
- UPDATED: The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there is only one remaining infestation within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
- You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.
- Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.
- Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.
- NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.
- You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.
- Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.
- NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.
- Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.
- Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.
- Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
- Fixed various translations bugs.
State of Decay was originally announced in 2011 as 'Class 3', before disappearing for a year and re-emerging as State of Decay in mid-2012. It has also been confirmed for PC, but no release date for the platform has been set. Check out the most recent State of Decay gameplay trailer here.
[ PS4: News | PS4 Games | All Videos | Gallery | PS4 Price | PS4 Specs | What's in the box ]
[ Xbox One: All news | Xbox One Games | All videos | Games gallery | Price | Release date ]
[ Wii U: All news | Wii U games | All videos ] [ E3 2013: Game trailer & video library ]