Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag debuted at No.1 on the UK all formats all prices chart during the week ended November 2.
The game came in ahead of fellow new release Battlefield 4, although Ubisoft's action title had a three day head start on EA's shooter, having released last Tuesday.
Retail monitor Chart-Track said sales of both titles appeared to be affected by the upcoming Xbox One and PS4 releases - neither game matched the launch week performance of its predecessor, with some consumers no doubt holding out for next-gen versions.
Elsewhere, Football Manager 2014 debuted at No.6, one place ahead of the week's fourth highest new entry, WWE 2K14. Angry Birds Star Wars for consoles and handhelds entered at No.30.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10
- 01. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
- 02. Battlefield 4 (EA)
- 03. FIFA 14 (EA)
- 04. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- 05. Batman: Arkham Origins: (Warner Bros.)
- 06. Football Manager 2014: (Sega)
- 07. WWE 2K14 (2K Sports)
- 08. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
- 09. Skylanders: Swap Force (Activision)
- 10. Pokémon Y (Nintendo)