The PS3 version of Square Enix's game sold 277,000 copies, while Nintendo's Wii U exclusive shifted just shy of 100,000, according to Media Create data republished on NeoGAF.
PS3's much larger installed base (9.6 million units to Wii U's 1.2 million) should be taken into consideration when comparing launch week sales of the two games, but 3D World's debut may still be considered disappointing.
According to Famitsu data compiled by a NeoGAF user, the game recorded the lowest launch week sales of a 3D Mario title to date in Japan. Again, the installed bases of the platforms on which the older Mario games were released should be taken into account when comparing launches, but this data wasn't readily available.
On the hardware front, weekly Wii U sales rose from 16,000 to 21.000 units. 3DS was the top seller with 84,000 units, ahead of Vita with 29,000.
Weekly software sales / lifetime
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix) - 277.082 / New
- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, Nintendo) - 99.588 / New
- One Piece: Unlimited World Red (3DS, Namco Games) - 83.605 / New
- Pokemon X & Y (3DS, Pokemon Co.) - 72.932 / 3.002.738
- Aikatsu! 2-nin no My Princess (3DS, Bandai Namco) - 72.087 / New
- God Eater 2 (Vita, Bandai Namco) - 39.052 / 305.378
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 (PS3, Konami) - 35.879 / 187.678
- Call of Duty: Ghosts Subtitled Edition (PS3, Square Enix) - 29.252 / 219.883
- Monster Hunter 4 (3DS, Capcom) - 21.120 / 2.959.789
- God Eater 2 (PSP, Bandai Namco) - 20.508 / 132.531
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
- 3DS - 84.506 (70.102)
- Vita - 28.912 (88.522)
- Wii U - 21.002 (15.906)
- PS3 - 12.436 (12.019)
- PSP - 3.546 (4.353)
- Wii - 4.353 (518)
- Xbox 360 - 342 (404)
- Total - 151.201 (149.652)