According to figures provided to CVG by GfK Chart Track, the results were extremely close, with Lara Croft's next-gen revamp outselling EA's football title by less than 500 copies.
If FIFA manages to reclaim the top spot next week, it will only be the eleventh title in UK chart history to have spent ten weeks at number one in the all-formats charts.
The PS4 version of Tomb Raider outsold the Xbox One version, with 69 per cent of copies bought for Sony's console.
The rest of this week's chart is largely unchanged, with most titles shuffling down a place to make space for Tomb Raider.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (previous week)
- 01. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (Square Enix)
- 02. FIFA 14 (EA)
- 03. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
- 04. Battlefield 4 (EA)
- 05. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Warner)
- 06. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
- 07. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
- 08. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- 09. Need for Speed Rivals (EA)
- 10. Killzone Shadow Fall (Sony)