2K Games has declined to confirm whether or not its BioShock game for Vita has been cancelled following confirmation of the closure of BioShock studio Irrational Games this week.
Irrational Games head Ken Levine made the announcement Tuesday, confirming plans to disband the developer and start a new outfit with just 15 staff, while handing the BioShock franchise to publisher 2K Games.
The announcement has sparked fears that this could be the final nail in the coffin for the BioShock Vita game, which has been a questionable prospect since its announcement almost three years ago.
A 2K Games rep has told CVG today that the firm has 'no update' on the status of the game - a project which Levine himself last year admitted was yet to begin development as he struggled to foster a deal between Sony and Irrational Games parent firm Take-Two.
Levine told prying fans in July 2013 that he was still "trying to make a match" or, more specifically, "trying to get the 2 companies to sign off" on the project - more than two years after its clearly premature announcement.
Outed during Sony's E3 press conference in June 2011, BioShock on Vita was to be "its own thing being built from the ground up". Nothing but the BioShock logo was shown.
Levine said in October 2011 that Irrational could "potentially" outsource development of BioShock Vita, but only if the studio can ensure it'll still hit the quality mark the series is known for.