to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG
News

Sacked Sony Santa Monica dev says studio's 'new AAA IP cancelled'

Lead level designer tweets about his disappointment over redundancy

A former Sony Santa Monica developer appears to have confirmed rumours that the studio has cancelled one of its in-development projects.

After Sony confirmed on Tuesday that it had laid off an unspecified number of developers at its Santa Monica Studio, a rumour began to spread that the company had also cancelled a game being developed there.

Zoom

This rumour has now been verified by former lead level designer Jonathan Hawkin, who was one of the developers made redundant earlier this week.

"Yesterday, I was laid off," he tweeted last night. "It was a good 10-year run and I got to make three 90+ [Metacritic rated] games.

"I lived the dream & got to accomplish all of my goals. Except one: making something out of nothing and creating a new AAA IP.

"The saddest part of waking up today is I no longer get to work with my family. Secondly, the pain that I feel for my friends who have lost their jobs. The saddest and most important part is the game I was creating for the player that will never be played. I'm sorry that I've failed you."

When asked by a follower if the new IP he was working on was still in development, Hawkin replied: "Cancelled. I'm sorry."

Sony Santa Monica is a wholly-owned Sony studio best known for its work on the long-running God of War series.

However, it also operates as a key collaborator with other studios on high-profile PlayStation games such as Flower, Journey, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Starhawk, Twisted Metal and the PixelJunk series.

Sony Santa Monica was said to be among the studios working on "unannounced PS4 titles" teased by Sony in August 2013.

Sony has declined to comment.

Comments