Unreal Engine will receive an update "later this month" that'll add initial support for Linux and SteamOS, Epic has confirmed.
The company released detailed information on the Unreal Engine 4.1 update on Thursday, which will expand one of the industry's most prominent game engines to the Linux operating system, including Valve's new Linux-based SteamOS platform.
The update will also see the release of Epic's Elemental tech demo for free - Unreal Engine subscribers will be able to download the demo at no additional cost from the UE Marketplace. "It took us awhile, but we've converted Elemental to match the engine's default system, to make it easy for you to use these assets with your own projects," explained the firm.
Epic used the Elemental demo to showcase the capabilities of its next-gen Unreal Engine 4, and later for PS4.
The firm today also released a long list of changes, tweaks and improvements coming to the UE4 SDK for developers. See the full list of changes below.
In late March Epic abandoned the sizable fees associated with the UE SDK by launching an "entirely new" business model for Unreal Engine 4, which offers access to its tools and complete C++ source code via a low-cost subscription model.
Developers can sign up for UE4 for PC, Mac, iOS and Android by paying $19 per month, plus 5% of gross revenue resulting from any commercial products built using the engine.
Unreal Engine 4.1 changes list:
NEW! STEAMOS/LINUX SUPPORT
- You can now package your games and deploy to SteamOS and Linux!
- Note: For now, you'll need to grab the source code to compile and test on Linux
NEW! FLYING AND ROLLING PROJECT TEMPLATES
- There are 2 new project templates that demonstrate simple flying and rolling character movement!
- The Flying templates (C++ and Blueprint) feature simple flying movement:
- The Rolling templates (C++ and Blueprint) feature a physics-based rolling ball as the player character:
NEW! SCENE OUTLINER FOLDER SYSTEM
- It is now possible to organize actors in the Scene Outliner using folders:
- The create button will create you a new folder containing the currently selected actors.
- Visibility toggling on folders affects all their contained actors.
NEW! ASSET DELETION ASSISTANT
- This feature makes it easy to delete assets by helping you interactively inspect and repair references.
- Allows graceful cleanup of assets still being referenced on disk or in memory
- You can click on any referenced asset to navigate to it and fix it up manually.
- You can Replace References, formally known as "Consolidate".
- You can perform a Force Delete, or you can Cancel and go handle the references yourself.
- Allows for multiple simultaneous deletes.
- Even if an asset is referenced by other assets, as long as they are also being deleted, it won't flag that as a problem.
- Reference Navigation
- Double Clicking on referenced assets will open their editor
- If an asset is being referenced in the open map, Double Clicking the map asset will take you to it in the open map.
NEW! UNDO HISTORY WINDOW
- The Editor now has a way to access the undo history!
- You can access the Undo History window from the Windows menu (Windows > Undo History).
- Note: Currently only works with Editor transactions.
NEW! JUMP TO CONNECTION IN GRAPH
- You can now right click on pins and jump to connections!
NEW! DEBUG HISTOGRAM VISUALIZATION
- You can now draw a histogram (graph) of float values in the world!
- You can record the value of a property or other aspect of the game over time and visualize that as a histogram at a specific location in the world.
- Values can be recorded and histograms can be drawn from both C++ code and Blueprints!
- Note: This feature is designed for debugging purposes. Debug drawing is not recommended during normal gameplay.
NEW EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE: TRANSLATION EDITOR
- The Translation Editor makes it easier to edit translations for strings in your game code and assets.
- Note: This tool is still an early work in progress. This tool can be enabled in your editor preferences under the Experimental section.
IMPROVEMENTS AND BUG FIXES
- GENERAL EDITOR
- New!Preview Meshespreference that allows customization of meshes displayed in viewports when holding theBackslashkey.
- New! Pressing theCkey now creates comments in the Material and SoundCue editors.
- New! You can now customize the selection colors in the editor preferences.
- New! You can now override the far view plane on a level editor viewport.
- Viewport Grid Improvements
- Removed the grid dots for a cleaner view and the grid is now scaled according to the grid snap settings.
- Perspective grid precision improved with thinner lines.
- Orthographic grid now has power of 10 major gridlines, soft fading transitions between levels, and colored axis lines.
- Added support forCtrl + BackspaceandCtrl + Deleteto editable text boxes.
- Added prompt to restart the editor after you've enabled or disabled a plugin in the Plugins Editor.
- Added tooltips to Window options in main menu.
- AddedEnable Soundoption to Play-In-Editor settings.
- Added toast popup when successfully checking in.
- Save window now displays "Save Map" or "Save Asset" depending on what's being saved.
- Content is now autosaved by default, and the notification shows you the number of packages that will be saved.
- PressingF4to view details will now potentially spawn a new Details panel if all the currently open ones are locked.
- Browsebutton now works on unloaded objects.
- The Reset Layout feature has been moved to the Window menu from Editor Preferences.
- Frame rate settings now have a lower bound of zero.
- FixedSelect actors using this assetnot selecting actors in other streaming sub-levels.
- Fixed selection problems in orthographic viewports due to mouse tests not extending from beyond the origin plane.
- Fixed Actors not remaining selected after copying Actors from multiple levels into the clipboard.
- Fixed global shortcut keys not functioning in floating windows in some cases
- Fixed safe frames and aspect ratio bars not displayed when locking a camera in Matinee when no camera is selected.
- Fixed Editor Preferences not listing all available languages and regions.
- Fixed viewport settings not being saved into the layout preferences file instead of the editor preferences files.
- Fixed notifications not being anchored to their appropriate monitor work area.
- Fixed copying text from the Output Log not copying lines in the correct order.
- Fixed dragging and dropping brushes into the Scene Outliner not working correctly.
- Fixed survey notification not fading away instantly after clicking Cancel to close it.
- Fixed Actors being selected when the viewport is hiding the layer they are in.
- Tutorial window no longer plays sounds.
- SOURCE CONTROL
- Fixed Perforce source control plugin not supporting Unicode workspace names and user names.
- GEOMETRY EDITING
- Fixed not being able to scroll through the various Geometry Editing mode controls.
- Fixed legacy builder brush visible in the 3D scene while Geometry Editing mode is active.
- Removed Volumetric and Sheet brush shapes as they were non-functional.
- LEVEL BROWSER
- Fixed level locking changes not being able to be undone or redone.
- LANDSCAPE AND FOLIAGE
- New! Landscape splines now have aMax Draw Distancesetting for meshes on the spline.
- New! Added new Landscape LOD preview settings to viewports.
- New! New controls for collision settings were added to Foliage tool
- New! AddedResampleoption for Change Component Size tool.
- MESH PAINT TOOL
- Changed default paint brush radius to 128.
- Paint brush radius is now saved with your editor preferences.
- CONTENT BROWSER
- New! You can now rename folders by right clicking on them and selectingRename.
- New! Diff Tool: Changes to Behaviour Tree assets can now be displayed interactively (diffing).
- New! Added new Content Browser view options:Show Only Assets in Selected Folders,Real-Time Thumbnails.
- Fixed Textures in thumbnails often drawing with blurry graphics (improved streaming for thumbnail Textures).
- Fixed not being able to type immediately into Content Browser search when window is summoned.
- New! You can multiply LinearColors by floats using aFloat * (LinearColor)Blueprint node.
- New! Added a new ParseIntoArray function for easily splitting up strings.
- New! Variable Get/Set nodes can now display rich tooltips using (where available) documentation info.
- New!Alt + Right Clickcan now be used as an alternative to zoom Blueprint graphs.
- Added menu extensibility hooks for additional items in the Debug Object drop down.
- Added a details customization for the graph nodes that handles node names/renaming.
- Added code to support searching interfaces.
- Renaming Blueprint Interface functions now properly renames the functions in implementing Blueprints.
- Combo button menus no longer scale in the Blueprint Editor.
- Fixed not being able to undo/redo after moving nodes around on the graph.
- Realtime rendering in the Blueprint preview scene is now disabled when Components mode is deactivated within the Blueprint editor.
- TEXTURE EDITOR
- Improved how the zoom slider in the Texture Editor interacts with theFit to Viewportsetting.
- MATERIAL EDITOR
- New! You can now zoom in and out by holdingLeft + Right Mouse Buttonsand dragging.
- New! Material Attributes can now be connected to Feature Level and Quality switches.
- Lighting-specific options in the Material Details are now grayed out when Unlit mode is active.
- Fixed Material asset name not being displayed in the Material Editor title tab.
- Changed Material statistics to be displayed in their own tab.
- PERSONA: ANIMATION EDITOR
- New! You can now select and edit multiple bones at the same time in Persona.
- New! You can now save assets straight from Persona's built-in Asset Browser.
- New! Animation Notifies can now be deleted by selecting them and pressing theDeletekey.
- New! You can now open assets directly from Blueprint nodes that reference them.
- Fixed changes to bones not being able to be undone and redone.
- Fixed some Persona settings not being remembered between sessions.
- Fixed Persona mode widgets not indicating dirty state.
- New! Matinee now supports rendering to PNG and JPEG formats (along with BMP and AVI).
- Fixed inconsistencies with how Undo/Redo works in Matinee compared to other editors (such as Cascade).
- Fixed not being able to interact with graph labels and buttons while in Zoom Mode.
- Fixed Slomo tracks not being able to slow the play rate down below 10%.
- Added the ability to load the Unreal Build Toll BuildConfiguration from XML files.
- UNREALVS (VISUAL STUDIO EXTENSION)
- Command Line box now automatically adds the game project file for 'Game' projects in UE4.sln
- Visual Studio's Customize feature now supports UnrealVS' tool bar commands