News

Rockstar working on new-gen game due by March 2015

GTA studio has not announced plans to appear at E3 in June

Rockstar Games is working on an unannounced new-gen game planned for release sometime this fiscal year, parent company Take-Two revealed in a conference call with investors.

Zoom

Its 2015 fiscal year began in April 2014 and will end in March 2015. Take-Two confirmed in the call Tuesday that Rockstar has not announced any presence at E3 2014 next month.

It did not provide any indication of what the game will be, whether it will represent an existing franchise or a new IP from the studio. Rockstar has not announced any new projects since shipping Grand Theft Auto V in September 2013.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said Rockstar is expected to account for 45 per cent of the firm's fiscal year 2015 revenue.

It has long been rumoured that Rockstar plans to release a PS4 and Xbox One version of GTA 5, which has shipped 33 million units on PS3 and Xbox 360. However, the company has largely refused to comment on the possibility of a new-gen release for the blockbuster open-world game.

Rockstar said last year: "We don't have anything to share about the possibility of a next-gen or a PC platform release at this time and we are completely focused on delivering the best possible experience for the consoles people have right now."

In July 2013, Zelnick referred to Red Dead Redemption as one of the publisher's "permanent" franchises, perhaps suggesting that a sequel to 2010's game is being worked on behind closed doors.

In the same month, Take-Two filed two trademark registrations for Agent, indicating that the publisher hadn't given up on the idea of releasing the Rockstar North game.

Sony announced in July 2007 that Rockstar was developing a new franchise exclusively for PS3, but further details, including the project's title, weren't confirmed until June 2009 to coincide with the platform holder's E3 press conference.

According to the official announcement: "Agent takes players on a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations during the height of the Cold War at the end of the 1970s."

In June 2011, then-Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton cast doubt over whether Agent was still a PS3 exclusive.

Two months later, what appeared to be the first Agent screenshots surfaced online courtesy of an environment artist thought to be working on the project.

In August 2012, Take-Two boss Zelnick was asked about the status of the game, to which he simply replied: "We haven't announced anything about that title."

Rockstar founder Sam Houser said at the time of Agent's 2009 announcement: "We have always enjoyed making action games, and with Agent we are making what we believe will be the ultimate action game.

"Agent is a game we have wanted to make for a long time. The team in Edinburgh is doing an amazing job combining intense action, atmosphere and story in a great period setting to create something that feels quite unique. We cannot wait for people to experience this game."

Related
Features

Red Dead Redemption 2: What we want to see

This is our list, but what do YOU want to see?

Comments