Watch Dogs debuted at No.1 on the UK all formats all prices chart for the week ended May 31.
Retail monitor Chart-Track said the game smashed the previous week one sales record for a new IP, eclipsing LA Noire's launch week total by 58 per cent. It also recorded the 17th highest week one sales of any game in the UK.
The PS4 version of Watch Dogs accounted for 49 per cent of first week sales, followed by the Xbox One edition (27%), the Xbox 360 version (13%) and the PS3 edition (9%).
Mario Kart 8 was the second highest new entry at No.2, helping boost weekly Wii U sales by 666 per cent, while Wolfenstein: The New Order, FIFA 14 and Minecraft: PS3 Edition rounded off the top five.
Borderlands 2 was a top 40 re-entry at No.18 thanks to the release of the new Vita version.
GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (previous week)
- 01. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
- 02. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo)
- 03. Wolfenstein: The New Order (Bethesda)
- 04. FIFA 14 (EA)
- 05. Minecraft PS3 Edition (Sony)
- 06. 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil (EA)
- 07. Titanfall (EA)
- 08. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
- 09. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
- 10. The Lego Movie Videogame (Warner Bros.)