Publisher Deep Silver has officially announced Homefront: The Revolution.
Developed by Crytek's Nottingham studio, the open-world FPS sequel will see players leading a resistance movement in guerrilla warfare when it launches on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Linux and Mac in 2015.
The game takes place in Philadelphia, USA, four years into a brutal military occupation of North America.
According to Deep Silver's plot description, the country "has become a ghetto, where surveillance drones and armoured patrols keep the population at heel, crushing any dissent with savage force."
In the bombed out streets and abandoned subways of the Red Zone, a Resistance is forming: "A guerrilla force, determined to fight for their freedoms despite overwhelming odds and ignite the second American Revolution."
CVG's first-look Homefront: The Revolution preview said the game is off to a strong start. "What we saw looked technically impressive, as you'd expect, the story is interesting and the promise of hard-hitting guerrilla warfare in an open, living environment is indeed exciting."
Crytek acquired the Homefront IP from now defunct publisher THQ in early 2013 for a figure reported to be $500,000.
Homefront The Revolution features:
- Explore a living, breathing open world - experience true open world gameplay in a first person shooter, brought to life with astonishing CRYENGINE-powered visuals
- Wage Guerrilla Warfare - this is no linear shooter; learn the art of guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics against your foe in thrilling un-scripted firefights
- Build the Resistance - recruit revolutionaries to the cause, establish bases and safehouses, capture and customise a deadly arsenal, and build improvised, homebrew weapons for your Guerrilla Tool Kit
- Ignite the Revolution - from oppressed citizen to revolutionary leader, an epic single-player campaign tells the story of the second War of Independence. The dynamic, evolving world responds to your actions as an oppressed nation rises up in defiance against the occupation
- Online co-op - take the battle online, form a Resistance Cell with your friends and earn your reputation as Heroes of the Revolution