Mario Kart 8 debuted at No.1 on the Japanese software chart during the week ended June 1.
Having launched on May 29, the game sold over 325,000 copies to top the chart ahead of fellow new release Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories, which sold 82,000 copies on PS3.
Mario Kart 8 helped boost weekly Wii U hardware sales, which more than doubled to 19,000, according to data from retail monitor Media Create, which was republished on NeoGAF.
Nintendo said on Monday that worldwide Mario Kart 8 sales hit 1.2 million units over the game's first weekend of availability, making it the fastest-selling Wii U game to date.
The UK release of Mario Kart 8 drove a 666 per cent increase in weekly Wii U sales.
Weekly software sales / lifetime
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U, Nintendo) - 325.892 / New
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories (PS3, Bandai Namco) - 82.048 / New
- Yo-kai Watch (3DS, Level 5) - 36.868 / 1.020.877
- Chou Megami Shinkou Noire: Gekishin Black Heart (Vita, Compile Heart) - 28.397 / New
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (PS3, Konami) - 27.406 / 63.062
- World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (3DS, Konami) - 12.265 / 29.028
- Infamous: Second Son (PS4, Sony) - 8.622 / 43.423
- The Idolmaster: One for All (PS3, Bandai Namco) - 6.910 / 102.793
- Arcana Heart 3: Love Max (PS3, Arc System Works) - 6.273 / New
- Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS, Nintendo) - 6.064 / 383.989
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
- 3DS - 23.733 (23.224)
- Wii U - 19.312 (9.024)
- Vita - 13.957 (15.212)
- PS3 - 6.922 (7.565)
- PS4 - 6.508 (7.543)
- PSP - 1.421 (1.479)
- Xbox 360 - 225 (202)
- Total - 72.078 (64.249)