News

EA boss labels Battlefield 4 launch 'unacceptable'

Company makes changes to development processes to avoid a repeat situation

EA CEO Andrew Wilson has labelled Battlefield 4's bungled launch "unacceptable".

Last December, two months after the game's release, DICE was forced to suspend all DLC development until it fixed a multitude of errors plaguing the shooter.

Zoom

"For clarity it wasn't actually a server problem for Battlefield 4," EA boss Andrew Wilson told Eurogamer. "It was a client side problem. Right now the game is playing extremely well, and people are in there and having a lot of fun. I'm still playing it.

"For me, the situation we had was unacceptable. For the team it was unacceptable. We have worked tirelessly since then to make sure the gameplay experience got to where it absolutely should have been at launch and we're focused on that and we continue to deliver value to that player base."

Wilson said EA has made a number of changes to development processes in order to avoid a repeat situation.

"We have changed development processes, we've changed development timelines and we've changed testing processes and beta processes, all with a view to not have the issues again."

While not wanting to "abdicate responsibility whatsoever", the executive said DICE struggled to successfully implement a range of new features in part because it was building the game on unfinished console platforms.

"What was happening with Battlefield 4, even as we were pushing all of this innovation, was a lot of it we couldn't test until really late in the phase. I believe it was unique."

DICE boss Karl-Magnus Troedsson also told Eurogamer: "Was I surprised at the reaction? No. Were we a bit surprised by the state of the game? Yes. For sure.

"People in the studio have taken this very personally. It has led to some very tough discussions about what we're doing. We're looking forward, we're not looking backward any more, and saying, 'okay, what do we take out of this hardening experience and what does that mean for us moving forward?'"

The latest series entry, Visceral's Battlefield Hardline, is scheduled for release on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on October 21 in North America, October 23 in Europe, and October 24 in the UK. Wilson said it has had a three year development timeline.

DICE said earlier this month that it's considering a range of early access schemes for future Battlefield games. EA launched a Battlefield Hardline multiplayer beta on PC and PS4 last week.

Related
News

Battlefield Hardline beta 'on all platforms before release'

DICE says later betas won't be the same as current PC and PS4 version

Comments