The add-on will be available for $4.99 on the PlayStation Store and PlayStation Plus members are eligible for a ten per cent discount at launch. The content will encompass new characters, seasons, creatures, biomes, and additional challenges.
The two new characters are Wigfrid, who is described as "a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role", and Webber, a boy who lives inside a spider that tried to eat him long ago.
Key features from Reign of Giants follow:
- New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
- Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
- A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive - or kill you.
- An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
- Giants: They're in the name for crying out loud!
A patch for the game has also been released containing performance enhancements, bug fixes and content that was previously only on PC. This includes:
- Snow Chester and Shadow Chester
- New in-game text strings & dialogue
- Option to disable Screen Shake.
- Expanded options for World Generation.
- New ability to save custom pre-sets in World Generation screen
- Random character select option when starting a new game