Nintendo will launch Mario Kart 8 DLC alongside a new patch on August 27 in North America and Japan.
The previously announced DLC, which will also be released in the west, will include three free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow and 300 SL Roadster.
It will arrive as part of a patch set to introduce the following new features:
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to "Next Race", followed by "Watch Highlight Reel".
- The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
- Users will be able to change options of other players' Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
- A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they've collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
- Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.
Mario Kart 8 sales hit 2.82 million units in just one month following the game's May 30 release. The title accounted for over 50 per cent of all Wii U software sales (4.39m) during Nintendo's first financial quarter ended June 30.
CVG's Mario Kart 8 review called the game "a multiplayer event showcasing Nintendo doing what it does best: bashing your expectations (which should already have been lofty) into dust and then rebuilding them anew into something bigger and better than you had imagined."